Monday, August 20, 2012

Story time.

Florence, my new longboard (named after Florence and the Machine), is a beautiful, blue pintail. We've already had some interesting adventures together, the craziest so far happened Friday night (it's not really that crazy though). Some friends and I had decided to just ride around the church parking lot for a bit. Only three of us actually own longboards, so we all kind of alternated between riding them and just talking with each other. When it was my turn to ride mine I was just riding along, minding my own business, when I guess I hit this huge crack or bump or something and Florence went flying in one direction sending me flying in the opposite direction. Don't ask me how this happened, but somehow I landed directly on my left hip haha. I heard Daniel shout my name and everyone came running over and I was just thinking, "well this is embarrassing, but it hurts so I think I'll just chill here a little longer..." so that's exactly what I did.

 I assured everyone I was just fine and they sat down with me talking and making me laugh. They are awesome. :) I started feeling better so I stood up. I was like "there! See? I'm perfectly fine." to which Cody replied "Well, it's great you can stand up, but walk over to me." I tried to, but my hip and leg felt like they were on fire every time I took a step. So I sort of crumpled back to the ground. I think my body was trying to process the fact I couldn't walk at all, so I felt like passing out. I wasn't entirely sure what to do, so we just kept on talking right in the middle of the church parking lot. Then I saw that Camille's light was on which meant she was home from work and I thought maybe Braden was still there (he took her home) so Daniel offered to help me get back home to see. Well, we made it maybe ten feet before he asked if he could just carry me because I was moving very slowly and was in a lot of pain. So, we made it inside the house and then I told everyone I was fine and I'd have Camille help me get upstairs and that I was sure I'd feel better in the morning.

After everyone left, my mom came down and asked me how I was and sat down to chat with me a bit. She noticed I was acting kind of strange so I finally admitted to her that I had fallen off my longboard and injured myself... I really didn't want to tell her since when I bought the longboard, I assured her I would be really cautious and that I wouldn't get hurt. She tried to help me stand up and walk and when she saw that I really couldn't walk she, like any good mother, worried and decided to take me to the ER. There, they lectured me about helmets and knee pads, took me to a room full of fancy cameras and huge machines, x-rayed my leg and hip and discovered that I have something called Post Traumatic Tenosynovitis.

This is a term that sounds way worse than it is. I still don't entirely understand what it is, but something about the tendons and joint being inflamed and really sore. It's interesting because I can move my leg around just fine while sitting, laying, or standing still but the second I giggle, cough, or walk it hurts like crazy! So now I am on crutches and I have been since Saturday. I'm thinking I may be able to walk without them tomorrow because today my leg feels so much better than it did Saturday and Sunday. I still am not entirely comfortable putting a ton of weight on it, but it's definitely not as sore as it was. In fact, I think my arms are more sore from using my crutches all over the place yesterday.

But yeah.
First longboarding accident.
First trip to the ER.
First pair crutches.


No comments: